Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros - Weather, Jenny Offill


Each Tuesday, Vicki, from 
I’d Rather Be At The Beach hosts First Chapter 
First Paragraph Tuesday Intros where readers post the opening paragraph(s)
 of a book that they are reading or plan to read. Here's my pick for this week:

Weather, Jenny Offill
Knopf - 2020


NOTES FROM A TOWN MEETING IN MILFORD, CONNECTICUT, 1640

Voted, that the earth is the Lord's and the fullness thereof; voted, that the earth is given to the Saints; voted, that we are the Saints.

ONE

"In the morning, the one who is mostly enlightened comes in.  There are stages and she is in the second to the last, she thinks.  This stage can be described only by a Japanese word. 'Buket of black paint,' it means.

I spend time pulling books for the doomed adjunct.  He has been working on his dissertation for eleven years.  I give him reams of copy paper, binder clips and pens.  He is writing about a philosopher I have never heard of. He is minor, but instrumental, he told me. Minon but instrumental!"

What do you think? Read more or pass?

Post a Comment

0 Comments