Every Tuesday I host First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros, where I share the first paragraph or (a few) of a book I am reading or thinking about reading soon.
Crooked River; Valerie Geary
William Morrow - 2014
SAM
"We found the woman floating face down in an eddy where Crooked River made a slow bend north, just a stone skip away from the best swimming hole this side of anywhere. Her emerald-green blouse was torn half open and her dark, pleated skirt was bunched around her waist, revealing skin puckered and gray, legs bloated and bruised. Her hair writhed like black snakes in the current. I poked her back with a stick. Not mean, but gentle, the way you might poke someone who's asleep. She skimmed the surface, bumped against a half-submerged rock, and returned to where Ollie and I stood at the water's edge. She bobbed there in the shallows in a tangle of brown leaves, her arms outstretched, fingers reaching, and it seemed like she was settling in to wait for someone else to come find her. Like maybe we weren't good enough, Ollie and me, just two girls with skinny arms and skinny legs who didn't know the first thing about death. We did, though. We knew more than we wanted to anyway."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
What do you think?
Feel free to join in and post the Intro from one of your reads by linking below.
Feel free to join in and post the Intro from one of your reads by linking below.



0 Comments